A decade in the Web Hosting & Domains industry
It’s been a big decade in the web hosting and domain industry. Technology changes in a heartbeat, and we’ve seen it all in the last ten years!
Do you remember some of these?
- 2011 – DistributeIT hacked, changing the landscape of web hosting security in Australia
- 2012 – the implementation of the Information Security Standard
- 2012 – the introduction of new TLDs including .coffee, .photography, .tech … and many thousands more since!
- 2014 – 94.7% of Australian businesses reported using the internet for their business
- 2014 – the launch of Let’s Encrypt, a non-profit certificate authority
- 2015 – 9.7m Australians frequently shopping online
- 2016 – auDA board officially approving .au direct registrations
- 2018 – the handover of .au from AusRegistry to Afilias Australia
- 2018 – achieving the largest migration of an internet TLD in a single transition, according to the Guinness World Record
- 2018 – reaching 3.1 million domain registrations in Australia
- 2018 – the cloud boom reaches its peak (and it’s still going!)
2020 will herald the beginning of a new decade, and a new era of web hosting and domain names.
What do you think we’ll see in 2020 and beyond?
It’s been a big decade in the industry, but it’s also been a big decade for VentraIP Australia!