MEGAMayMonth: Cooking Steak Diane With Huey
In anticipation of Huey’s upcoming ‘Cooking for One’ YouTube series, we’re throwing back to when Iain ‘Huey’ Hewitson paid us a visit here in the VentraIP Australia office to announce the winner of our MEGAMayMonth $20,000 cash giveaway.
This year’s MEGAMayMonth was all about the 90’s and so we asked Huey to help us prepare a quick and easy quintessential 90’s dish that’s both delicious and healthy. It’s safe to say that Huey had us watering at the mouth with his heavenly Steak Diane!
Take a look at our short video below to see just how easy it is to prepare this delicious dish:
Ready to get started on your steak? Here’s a quick how-to provided by Huey himself!
- 250gm porterhouse steak, well trimmed
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 heaped tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 plump garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil
- unsalted butter
- ½ cup salt-reduced beef stock
- a good slurp of brandy
- ¼ cup cream
- chopped parsley
- baby cos lettuce leaves
- red wine vinegar
1. Batten out the steak to an even thickness and season well on both sides.
2. Heat a thin layer of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and seal the steak on both sides. Remove.
3. Add a good dollop of butter to the pan and melt, before adding the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until tender.
4. Then add the stock, brandy and cream with 1 heaped tbsp parsley. Cook until thickish.
5. Return the steak to the pan, turn down the heat and gently cook to the desired degree, adding more stock and cream if getting too thick.
6. When ready, place the steak on a plate and pour the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with more parsley.
7. Dress the lettuce leaves with olive oil, vinegar and seasonings, and serve alongside.