It is possible to add password protection to your web directories/folders, making it easy to lock things down whilst in development or when keeping pages away from the general public. Using password protection will set a username and password prompt for accessing a particular directory in web browsers. It sets up a htpasswd configuration.
- Log in to your cPanel service.
- Click the Password Protect Directories icon.
- Select the folder you wish to protect.
- Check the tickbox.
- Enter a name for the word protected directory.
- Click Save.
- Now click ← Go Back.
- Under Create User enter the username and password combination you wish to set.
- Click Add/Modify authorized user.