You are able to update the primary domain on your cPanel hosting services at any time. This is all done within VIPControl.
- After logging in click on the My Services option on the top-left of the page > Hosting from the options provided.
- Select the Manage icon for the service you want to change the primary domain for.
- Under the Account area on the left choose Primary Domain
- Hit the Change button > enter the new primary domain name
- Make sure you read over the Confirmation box and accept before initiating the change.
As specified in the image above, it is essential to make sure that:
- The domain does not already exist on the DNS cluster – Meaning it cannot be an Addon or Parked domain on an existing account.
- You need to acknowledge that by changing the primary domain name all services attached to the existing primary will stop working
Extra steps for WordPress websites
If you’re running a WordPress website, you will need to change the domain name in the WordPress database/settings. See our separate support guide for further details on how to update your WordPress URL.