We recognise that it is important to many businesses and individuals that their contact information is protected. VentraIP offers ID Protection options which will hide your direct details from the domain name Whois system where the domain name extension type supports it.
This is a feature often referred to as ID Protection, but also as Whois Protection and Domain Privacy. To enable your ID Protection within VIPControl, follow these steps:
- Login to your VIPControl account.
- Click the Manage my Domains button on your VIPControl dashboard.
- Select the domain name you wish to enable ID Protection on.
- In the drop down options select ID Protection.
- Click Enable ID Protection.
And that’s it! ID Protection is now enabled on your domain name; this gives you some privacy by putting some generic information onto your domain names Whois record – but importantly the masked email address forwards to your original email address.
As a little tip; any domains which support ID Protection have a little shield next to them in your domain list within VIPControl. When it’s disabled the shield is grey, when enabled it changes to blue.
Protection for .AU domain names?
Unfortunately there isn’t such a thing. AU namespace policy prevents the details on a domain name Whois from being obscured, but never fear the only information available is:
- ABN/ACN/RBN or other eligibility criteria used – Therefore a business name, club group, etc.
- The name of the Registrant and Technical contact person.
- The email address of the Registrant and Technical contact person – but this is protected via Captcha and only available on the auDA website.
No other details such as phone number or address are shown on a Whois record for a .AU domain name registration.