With every domain name registration, VentraIP offers Free DNS hosting. This will allow you manage A, MX, CNAME, TXT, NS and SRV records of the domain name zone without the need for a hosting account or a third party DNS provider. This is especially helpful if you wish to use us for your external DNS hosting or simply want a few records to point to different locations (such as a mail only domain name).
Enabling Free DNS Hosting on your domain name
To enable your Free DNS Hosting, please follow these easy steps:
- Login to your VIPControl account.
- Click the My Services option on the top-left in your account > Domains from the menu below
- Hit the Manage button for the domain name that you wish to edit
- Select the Manage DNS option under DNS on the left-hand side
- Click the Change DNS button and select Free DNS Hosting
- Here you can add the records that you need
NOTE: Completing the above steps will remove any existing nameservers. There will also be up to 24 hours of downtime before the new records will reflect once added.
Adding various DNS records to your DNS zone
- Once on the Free DNS Hosting page you will need to hit the Add DNS Record option
- Select the record type you wish to add, then enter the records as required.
NOTE: When setting up a record for yourdomain.com, please remember to add an identical record for www.yourdomain.com as well.
What if I want to add MX records?
Within the same area of VIPControl under the Change DNS button, there will be a 3rd Party App or Hosting option.
If you select this, you will be given the choice to add the MX records for some email hosting platforms that you may be using (See below)
Here you can select the offering you need and click Apply DNS Preset to have the MX records automatically added.
Important Notes – MUST READ
If you already have cPanel hosting for your domain name you can also edit your DNS zone inside of cPanel without needing to change to the Free DNS Hosting option in VIPControl.
Changing over to the VIPControl Free DNS hosting system will cause your website to go offline (unless you create the A record on the VIPControl Free DNS hosting to point to your hosting account).
In this case, we strongly recommend using cPanel for managing your DNS zone, as this will automatically update the zone when you create, modify or add subdomains, or if your account is migrated to another server.
If you need any assistance whilst following through with any of these processes, feel free to get in touch with us via eTicket or over the phone on 13 24 85.