FTP is a protocol used to upload and download files from a server. For our web hosting customers, this is often how the site developers (or the customers themselves) upload, download and make changes to their websites.
As well as the login details, you’ll also need an FTP Client. Most customers tend to use FileZilla.
To obtain your FTP Login Details, follow these steps:
- Log into your VIPControl account
- Click on the My Services option > Hosting from the menu below
- Hit the Manage button for the hosting service that you wish to view
- You will find your FTP details on this page under the cPanel and FTP Details area
- Our FTP operates over the default port (21).
- If the password doesn’t work, it’s likely that it has changed since your service was created. Click ‘Reset Password’ to generate a new one.
- If the FTP Address doesn’t work, your domain name is probably pointed to different nameservers (or your FTP A Record is missing). Use the FTP Hostname to connect.
- Should the FTP Hostname not work, you will need to use the IP Address of the server. This can be found on the left side of the same page under ‘Server Details’.
How do I create an FTP account for my developer without giving them cPanel access?
- Log into cPanel
- Navigate to FTP Accounts
- Fill out the form. The directory will be where your website is installed (In most cases it will be the public_html folder)
- Set an account Quota (Usually unlimited is fine unless you really want to limit it)
- Create FTP Account.
You can then use the server hostname found previously in this guide.
If you need any assistance whilst following through with any of these processes, feel free to get in touch with us via eTicket or over the phone on 13 24 85.