There are a couple of things you can do to ensure that the migration goes as smoothly as possible. Here are some things to keep in mind that may potentially affect your service during an upgrade.
This is very important! The nameservers for your domain name need to be updated to point at the new server.
If your domain is registered with VentraIP Australia
You can follow the steps in this guide under “How do I do this?” to point the domain name at the new service.
If your domain name is not registered with VentraIP Australia
If your domain name is registered with another provider, you need to update the domain name’s nameservers on their end. Alternatively, if you’re managing your own DNS zone you can simply update the type A records to your new IP address. To find out what the nameserver addresses or IP address you need are, you can take the following steps after your account has been migrated to a new server:
- Log in to VIPControl.
- Click on My Services.
- Click on cPanel Hosting.
- Click Manage next to the service you want to point your domain name at.
- Click on Server Details and the nameservers will be listed below Server Name and IP Address.
- The new IP Address and nameservers will only be listed here after your migration has been confirmed as completed.
From there, you can update the domain name’s Name Servers on your domain registrar’s end. If you want to know what the Name Servers will be before a migration is complete, then you can ask our Technical Support team.
Email Software Settings
Our new servers will only allow you to connect using modern TLS encryption, to meet PCI DSS security standards. Your email software is likely already connecting to using encryption. However, if you’re not sure if that is the case or not, you can follow the bellow guides on how to enable SSL/TLS in your email software:
- How to change my settings in Outlook 2013, 2016 and 2019 to connect using TLS
- How to modify an existing account in Mac Mail to connect using TLS
- How do I update my settings in Thunderbird to connect securely via TLS?
- How do I set my email account setup in Outlook for Mac to connect using SSL/TLS?
- How do I set an account setup in the Gmail app to connect using SSL/TLS?
- How to configure the Mail app on your IPhone to connect using TLS
Do I need to take a backup?
Backups are always recommended but are not be necessary. If you’d like to take a backup of your service, we have a separate guide on how to do that.
When connecting via FTP, you will need to configure your FTP software to connect securely using TLS encryption. This is easy to do and we have separate guides about how this is done with Filezilla and Cyberduck.