The cPanel username serves no real function other than being used for logging in to the cPanel server. Beyond that, nobody else except for the VentraIP customer should see or know what the username is. Changing the username is only cosmetic and comes with a few risks.
Before going ahead with this kind of change, please keep in mind that there may be some changes you need to make to your website and other files to ensure your website continues to function without any issues. They are:
- Changing the username will break any MySQL connections currently being used in files referencing the previous username, and updating those files are my responsibility; and
- Any files using absolute paths are the user’s responsibility to update.
You will be prompted to acknowledge these points when changing the account’s username.
Update the username
- Log in to VIPControl.
- Click on My Services at the top of the page.
- Click on cPanel Hosting.
- Click on Manage next to your cPanel web hosting service.
- Click Change next to Username under cPanel and FTP Details.
- Input the new username into the New Username field that appears.
- Please read and acknowledge the points under Confirmation by checking the boxes next to them.
- Click Change Username.