FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
FTP is the most common and easiest way to upload or download files from your web hosting service. We recommend using the FileZilla FTP client as it is free and supports Windows, Linux and Mac computers. FileZilla provides excellent functionality including:
- Connect to and browse the files within your web hosting service.
- Right-click on files and folders to receive more options, such as:
- Copy, Move, Rename, Change file and folder permissions; and, Delete.
- Upload files from your local computer to the web hosting service.
- Download files from your web hosting service to your local computer.
To learn how to use FTP please see our article Managing files via FTP.
SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol)
SFTP is an alternative to FTP that also allows you to transfer files but with an additional layer of security to the process by processing through a secure shell connection. While FTP can be used on a variety of channels and ports, SFTP is only done via a peer-to-peer connection via port 22 only.
Fewer software clients are compatible with SFTP, and it is most commonly used via the command-line. This method is far more dependable than FTP, but the process is more advanced.
For assistance using SFTP, reach out to our 24/7 support team for further assistance.