Taking a backup of your cPanel hosting services periodically is an excellent idea and it covers you in the unlikely event of data loss. Taking a backup is a very easy process which provides peace of mind. Please see these steps for taking a full cPanel backup:
- Log in to your cPanel service.
- Click the Backup Wizard icon.
- Click Backup, and select Full Backup.
- Leave Backup Destination set to Home Directory.
- Enter your email address to be notified when the backup finishes.
- Click Generate Backup, and wait until it completes.
This can take some time if you have a large number of files.
- Once it’s finished, go back to your cPanel home and click Backup.
- Click Download or Generate a Full Website Backup.
- Download the backup you’ve just completed.
Please ensure you store your backup in a reliable place.
Note: it is best practise to remove a backup from your hosting after downloading it to your computer. Per our Acceptable Use Policy, old backup files may be deleted from the server periodically.
Need to restore a backup?
Check out our guide on restoring a cPanel backup.
* images depicted in this video may differ from what you see but will still be relevant *